Personnel & Civil Service
The Personnel Department provides administrative and technical support services to assist in the management of the Township's workforce.
Services provided by Personnel include:
- Recruitment, selection, and processing of new employees
- Management of the pay and classification plan
- Maintenance of employee personnel records
- Administration of the Township's employee benefits program
- Coordination of employee and supervisory training
- Liaison with the Township's Employees Civil Service Commission
- Liaison with the Township's Police and Fire Civil Service Commission
- Negotiation and management of collective bargaining agreements with the Township's bargaining units
- Safety audits, training, and inspections
- Recommendations for loss prevention and loss control
- Oversight of the workers' compensation and general liability claims
- Administration of the Township employee leave programs
View available job opportunities and the application process on our Employment Opportunity page.
Derrick L. WashingtonHuman Resources Director
Derrick Washington has worked for the Charter Township of Redford since 2021. In his current role as Director of Human Resources, Derrick is responsible for all employee needs from the moment of their candidacy for employment to retirement, and beyond.
Derrick’s favorite thing about Redford is the people. He says he appreciates how friendly the citizens and employees are and the way the community reaches out to make newcomers feel welcome.
Prior to joining Redford Township, Derrick worked for the City of Livonia for 27 years in the Civil Service Department. In his previous position, he handled labor relation issues and the departmental budget. Derrick was responsible for all internal promotional opportunities and external recruitment. He administered employee union contracts and benefits, such as health insurance, optical and dental coverage, and he was in charge of city-wide training and employee safety.
Derrick is proudest of the improvement the department has made in program administration since he was brought into his current role. Looking forward, his goals for the department are to improve record keeping, develop policies and processes for everything from examination administration to storage of retiree documents.