A meeting for consideration of Township Business
If you are attending a Board meeting for the first time, the following information will be helpful:
- Board of Trustees meetings are the second and fourth Tuesday of each month
- Meetings are called to order and adjourned by the Supervisor/Chair in absence of the Supervisor
- AT REGULAR MEETINGS, PLEASE STAND FOR THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE AND THE INVOCATION
- At regular meetings (see schedule), all agenda items consist of discussion and a vote. Board members are provided extensive information on each item under consideration in advance of the meeting
- The Board is happy to receive public comment and respects the rights of citizens to participate in the legislative process. For this reason, a "Citizen's Comment" time (3 minutes each) is provided for residents following the "Roll Call"
- If you wish to address the Board on any issue not on the agenda please fill out a "Citizen Comment" form and hand it to the Deputy Clerk
- WHEN SPEAKING TO THE BOARD ON ANY ISSUE, PLEASE STAND AND GIVE YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS
The agenda contains a list of items to be discussed by the Board of Trustees. Agendas are available in the Clerk's Office before each meeting and posted on the bulletin boards in and outside Town Hall and also on the website (www.redfordtwp.com). Agendas are available the night of the meeting.
The Board observes the Open Meetings Act (PA 267 of 1976) and Robert's Rules of Order.
The Board appoints residents to serve on various commissions and committees, such as the Planning Commission, the Zoning Board of Appeals, and the Board of Review as well as other task force committees from time to time. If you are interested in serving, please contact the Clerk's Office.
Public Hearings are scheduled near the beginning of the meeting.
If a number of people are present to speak for or against the same matter, the Board asks the group to choose a spokesperson(s) to represent them and voice their concerns. The spokesperson may ask the members of the group to stand and be recognized. Once comments become redundant, the Supervisor may close the discussion.
ALL PUBLIC COMMENTS SHOULD BE FRAMED TO PROVIDE A POINT OF VIEW, GAIN INFORMATION, SHARE A CRITICISM, OR EXPRESS A CONCERN. CITIZENS ARE REQUESTED TO BE COURTEOUS AND TO REFRAIN FROM PERSONAL ATTACKS ON BOARD MEMBERS, TOWNSHIP STAFF, OR OTHER MEMBERS OF THE AUDIENCE.
The Board of Trustees holds Public Hearings for:
- Consideration of special assessment districts for sewer and water projects
- Consideration of the annual Township budgets and establishment of the yearly tax levy
The Planning Commission holds public hearings on requests to rezone properties or amend the map or text of the Zoning Ordinance.
The Zoning Board of Appeals holds public hearings on variance requests and interpretations of the Zoning Ordinance.
People often come to Board meetings expecting to present their particular problem and get an immediate answer. Our experience has shown that many of these problems could have been solved much faster if they had been discussed with the Township Supervisor, prior to the meeting.
If the problem has not been resolved after discussing it with the Supervisor, you should address the Board at a regular meeting.
Board of Trustee meetings are the second and fourth Tuesday of each month.
Any changes in the meeting schedule are posted on the bulletin board in Redford Town Hall, and the website www.redfordtwp.com.
Most meetings are held at the Town Hall, 15145 Beech Daly Road, Redford, MI 48239 or the Public Service Building, 12200 Beech Daly Road, Redford, MI 48239. Locations will be posted with the notice of a meeting.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION. ALL MEETINGS OF THE BOARD ARE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC AND CITIZENS ARE URGED TO ATTEND!