Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What can I put in the new trash cart?
Regular household garbage.

Q: Should I place garbage in plastic bags before placing it in the refuse cart?
YES! Bags are required to eliminate odors, spills and rodents. Please keep lids closed at all times to help keep our community litter-free.

Q: If my cart is full, what do I do with the additional garbage bags?
A: For the occasional bag or two, please place alongside your cart. If you need an additional cart, you will have to purchase one.

Q: How can I purchase a second reuse or recycling cart?
A: Please call GFL Customer Service at 844-464-3587 or the website GFLUSA.com. Cost per recycling cart is $65.00 and $75.00 for trash carts.

Q: Can I put yard waste into my refuse cart?
NO! Yard waste will continue to be collected separately, in paper compost bags or 32-35 gallon cans with a 50 pound weight limit marked YARD WASTE.

Q: Can I put "bulky waste" in my refuse cart?
A: NO! Bulk waste, such as appliances and furniture, will continue to be collected separately. There is no longer a limit on the number of bulky items you may place at the curb for pick up. NOTE: evictions and move outs may be subject to a removal and cleanup charge.

Q: Where should I place my refuse and recycling cart for collection?
A: Please place your trash and recycling cart in the street, close to the curb or next to your driveway approach. Please see the diagrams on the Guidelines for Cart Placement showing how carts should be set out for collection. If you live along a major thoroughfare where no parking is allowed in the street such as Beech Daly or 7 Mile Road, etc. DO NOT place your container in the street. Place it on the edge of your property close to the curb.

Q: What if I have a problem with my new cart?
A: The new carts have a ten year warranty! If you experience any issues please contact GFL Customer Service at 844-464-3587 for assistance.

Q: Will this solve our blight and rodent problems?
A: No, but it sure will help! Good housekeeping is required by all residents and we are making it easier for you with this new problem.

Q: When will yard waste pickup begin, and how long will it last?
A: Yard waste pickup takes place the same day as your regular trash pickup from April thru mid-December. It begins the Monday of the first full week of April and ends on the second Friday of December. If you have yard waste after the pickup ends in December you will be required to store it out of view from the street until pickups resume in April when the compost landfills reopen. Please place your yard waste 5 feet away from you regular trash.

Q: Why were my building materials, cement, or auto parts not picked up?
A: Materials involved in construction or remodeling (including large boards, drywall, floor/ceiling tiles), cement and auto parts/tires are not acceptable for pick up because of the damage that can occur to the sanitation vehicle's packer mechanism and are excluded as acceptable waste items under our waste hauling contract. Residents who need to dispose of these types of material may use one of the two landfills listed below that are available to the public.  We suggest you call first to find out the days/hours they are open and to find out what fees you will be charged, as they are subject to change.  Tire stores will take used tires and there is usually a small cost associated with the disposal.  Those with large amounts of construction or remodeling debris may want to consider renting a small dumpster or hire a private hauling company. 

Sauk Trail Hills
Development Landfill
(Redford residents receive a reduced fee at this location)
5011 S. Lilley Road
Canton, MI 48188

Advanced Disposal
Arbor Hills Landfill

10690 W. Six Mile Road
Northville, MI 48168
Toll free number 888-443-1717

Q. What can I do with my hazardous waste (paints, oils, pesticides, fertilizers, etc)?
A: During some years (depending on the budget) the Township holds a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day where residents may drop off hazardous items for disposal at no charge. Wayne County also sponsors four (4) drop off sites per year (usually from April thru October) where any County resident with proof of County residency may drop off hazardous waste at no charge.  The County rotates their sites between different communities each year and several have already been hosted here in Redford Township. The Township has also sponsored, along with Wayne County, several annual “Electronic Waste Collection Days, in an effort to keep old, unused or hazardous electronics out of our landfills. Information about available hazardous waste or electronic collection sites is posted on the Township website on the home page and/or the Central Maintenance page, as well as on local cable television stations (Channel 8 on Bright House, Channel 99 on AT&T U-Verse, and Channel 10 on WOW).

If for some reason a resident cannot wait until a scheduled drop off day or it is at a time of year there are none scheduled, there is a “Resource Recovery Guide” available (click here) on the Township’s Central Maintenance page that provides contact information for companies you can contact directly.  Be aware, however, that they will charge you a fee for the disposal of your hazardous items.  There is no charge when using a collection site sponsored by Wayne County but you must provide proof you are a Country resident.  Call 734-326-3936 for County dates and locations.

Q: How do I have tree branches picked up/chipped?
A: Redford Township does not currently offer a branch chipping service, as it was eliminated May 1, 2010, as part of budget cuts.  As an alternative, we suggest that residents who have a large amount of branches that need chipping contact a local tree service company who can provide them with this service. Also, the local Redford Chamber of Commerce (313) 535-0960 may have member tree service companies that they can recommend to you.

Another alternative (if you only have a small amount of branches, twigs or shrubs and they are less than 1½   inches in diameter) is to cut them into lengths of 4 feet or less and tie them into bundles (18 inches in diameter) or place them into yard waste receptacles. The bundles or receptacles cannot weigh more than 60 pounds and should be set next to your other yard waste receptacles.  Landscape and tree service contractors are responsible for the removal of all tree materials remaining as a result of their work.

Q: Why was my yard waste not picked up?
A:  Occasionally and unintentionally yard waste has been overlooked for pickup at some homes.  It may have been overlooked because a vehicle blocked it from the driver’s view or the outside of the can was not marked “Yard Waste”.  There are also other reasons the yard waste was not collected.  All yard waste must be in either brown paper yard waste bags (which are sold at local hardware or retail home stores such as Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) or in trash cans no larger than 35 gallon capacity size with two (2) outside handles.  The cans must also clearly be marked “yard waste” on the outside.  Under no circumstances may yard waste be placed in plastic bags.  Under State law landfills may not accept yard waste in plastic bags.   Also, yard waste will not be taken if you have mixed it with any of the following unacceptable items:  stumps, logs, root balls, stones, straw, apples, dirt or sod.  The bags or containers will also not be emptied if they are more than 45 lbs. in weight. 

Q: Why was my garbage not picked up?
A: Other than it was mistakenly not picked up there may be several reasons why your garbage was not picked up.  Below are some possible reasons: 

  1. Did you place your garbage or yard waste in cardboard boxes?  Cardboard boxes are not acceptable containers for any items placed at the road.
  2. Hazardous waste, building materials and yard waste may NOT be mixed with your regular garbage.
  3. Were your cans or bags blocked from view by a vehicle parked in front of it?
  4. If you reside on a cul-de-sac, were vehicles parked in the street that made it difficult for the truck to turn into the area and pick up your garbage?


GFL Environmental - Garbage/Solid Waste Information