In 1847, the first Justice of the Peace Court was established in Redford Township, Michigan, with William A. Smith serving as the first Justice. From 1847 to 1964, 15 Justices of the Peace served the Redford Court. During this period, there was no official Courthouse. Court was held in the homes of the Justices, Township Hall, and later at commercial buildings in the Township.
On January 1, 1964, a new Michigan State Constitution was enacted which mandated that new courts would be created to replace Justice of the Peace and Circuit Court Commissioners by January 1, 1969. In 1968, the State Legislature created an act, which established the 17th JUDICIAL DISTRICT COURT OF REDFORD TOWNSHIP.
The first elected District Court Judges were Judge John M. Dillon and Judge Robert F. Brang. The Court rented a building across the street from the Township Hall on Beech Daly Road, and installed the first recognized District Court House. In 1978, a new and the current Courthouse was built next to the Central Fire Station and Township Hall.
In 1980, the Court established a Magistrateís Court. The 17th District Court has two part-time Magistrates primarily assigned to handle traffic matters. The Court currently has two elected Judges, Judge Karen Khalil and Judge Charlotte L. Wirth.