Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Where is the Redford Police Department located?

The Redford Police Department is located at 25833 Elsinore, Redford, MI 48239, just south of Five Mile on the west side of Beech Daly. The business phone number is 313-387-2500. Emergency is 911.

Where is the 17th District Court? 
15111 Beech Daly. Visitors should park in the Police Department parking lot. The court building is one building east of the Police Department.

What are the Police Department hours?
Officers are available to file complaints and accidents 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Copies of reports and complaint inquiries can be done Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 4:00pm.

When the Redford Police Department impounds a vehicle where is it taken?
Vehicles impounded by the Redford Police are taken to North Redford Towing, Inc. which is located at 25215 Glendale, Redford, MI 48239. For release information you should contact North Redford Towing at 313-531-1303.

Can I pay a ticket at the Police Department?
No. Tickets must be paid at or mailed to the 17th District Court.

Gun Registration and Purchase Permits
To apply for a purchase permit, you must be a Michigan resident and have a valid photo ID and not have a Concealed Pistol License (CPL). Beginning April 1, 2012 the cost is $10 for the mandatory background check. If you have a valid Concealed Pistol License (CPL), you will need a sales record instead of a purchase permit. You may pick this up at no cost.
You can apply for a purchase permit or pick up a sales record Monday thru Friday excluding holidays, between the hours of 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.

How to obtain a Copy of a Police Report

Crash Reports
You can obtain a copy of a report Monday thru Friday, excluding holidays, between the hours of 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.

We no longer accept private property accident reports unless there is an injury or extenuating circumstances. This information can be given directly to your insurance company.

Traffic accident reports can be obtained at www.clemis.org for the fee of $16.00. Traffic reports are available in person from the records bureau, located on the second floor of the Police Dept, for $10.00. You will need to know one of the following:

The case number of the accident
The date and location of the accident

In order to obtain a copy of a crash report, you must be involved in the crash or associated with a person involved in the crash.

Incident Reports
To obtain a copy of an incident report, we strongly recommend you call the Records Division at 313-387-2531 and check the availability of the report you are interested in and to determine if the incident report you are interested in can be obtained digitally. You will need to know the case number of the incident or the date and location of the incident. You can obtain a copy of a report Monday thru Friday, excluding holidays, between the hours of 8:00 am to 4:00 pm

Report Questions

If I have an accident on the roadway and there are no injuries do I have to make a police report?
The law requires you to make a report if you have at least $1,000 of damage to your vehicle. You may call the police station at the time of the accident and request an officer to come out. If there is an officer available one will be sent. If not, you will be asked to exchange information and file the report at the station at your convenience within 7 days. (MCL site number, 257.622)

What should I do if I'm involved in a minor accident in a parking lot?
We do not take private property accident reports anymore unless there is injury.

When I am involved in an accident what information should I obtain from the other parties involved?
You should get the other driver(s) name, address, phone number, driver's license number, insurance company name and policy number. Additional things to write down or remember to assist in completing the crash report include the exact location of the crash and weather and road conditions.